Accounts Payable Manager
SMG - Boston/Brighton Area
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Accounts Payable (AP) Manager will work under the Sr. Manager, Supply Chain to define and execute a national accounts payable strategy and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Accounts Payable function in Franklin, TN. The AP Manager will manage and continuously improve accounts payables processes, manage and develop staff, and communicate to internal and external stakeholders.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of strategies for SMG as it relates to accounts payable.
- Develop, implement and supervise systems and processes for the accounts payable function, including such activities as the timely payment of all vendor invoices and expense vouchers, reconciling outstanding accounts balances and the maintenance of accurate records.
- Manage and guide accounts payable staff with professionalism and skill. Guide, motivate, communicate and hold the team accountable.
- Manage a high volume of invoices and guide resolution of numerous daily issues and escalations.
- Able to balance work among team members to manage fluctuating priorities, including coding invoices, working invoice queues, responding to vendor inquiries, managing internal escalations, advancing process improvement projects and other priorities that may arise.
- Record, update and reconcile related financial information and provide general accounting support.
- Resolve non-routine and complex variances and payment issues with vendors.
- Work with vendors on outstanding payment issues, payment terms and payment processes. Feels comfortable having direct communication with vendors to resolve issues and negotiate resolution.
- Establish and implement internal controls to support the continuing growth of SMG.
- Develop reporting metrics and monitor performance for the AP team, especially staff productivity.
- Develop reporting metrics and monitor performance for the accounts payable cycle, especially work queue levels and management.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to accelerate invoice processing timelines; automate manual procedures.
- Work with other functional areas to expand the scope of the AP team, including physician CMEs and Dues, Rent payments, etc.
- Oversee and manage the department's system and technology including but not limited to testing, module maintenance and enhancements, troubleshooting and system implementations. Become a "super user" of the systems and ensure team members are adequately trained.
- Work with other Steward Departments and functional areas to get things done, including SMG Accounting department, Corporate Accounts Payable department, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or a closely related field and five to six years of experience.
- Demonstrated management capabilities and subject matter expertise necessary to influence and navigate employees and colleagues on issues and programs.
- Excellent analytical skills necessary to plan for design of systems and programs and develop reports to monitor performance in the department.
- Experience problem solving and getting things done in a large, national organization.
- Knowledge of relevant technologies and exhibits the technical skills necessary to navigate technology platforms and utilize technology to its fullest potential.
- Collaborative capabilities to effectively deal with conflicting views and issues in order to bring about fair and workable solutions; possesses a deep understanding of the upstream and downstream impacts of Accounts Payable on financial reporting.
Job Reference #: 100023781