Administrative Assistant - Infectious Disease
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the supervision of the Practice Manager or Director of Operations, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties, clerical and clinical duties to which he/she is assigned.
- Work closely with the department providers to ensure accurate scheduling of procedures.
- Obtain authorizations from insurance companies as needed including workers comp cases.
- Work with the vendors to arrange necessary equipment/medication for the procedures as needed.
- Communicate closely with patients about the scheduling of their appointments in a timely fashion.
- Schedule appointment related to diagnostic studies and imaging etc.
- Scan all related documents into Athena.
- Verify referral requirement. Request referrals where needed.
- Answer department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group. Ensure proper triage of all calls.
- Schedule patient appointments for the department ensuring proper referrals are in place/requests sent where missing.
- Verify insurance coverage for all patients prior to scheduling them.
- Enter professional and hospital charges into Athena in a timely fashion. Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion.
- Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting.
- Cover the front desk in clinic as needed.
- Perform Medical Assistant and Medical Secretary duties as needed.
- Research duties to include the following: Responsible for completing and submitting all regulatory documents to the IRB; Responsible for conducting or directing conduction of all study related procedures per protocol; Participating in all site monitoring visits; Responsible for completing and submitting all continuing reviews and protocol deviations to the IRB; Responsible for submitting all encounters for study visits/procedures for billing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior surgical scheduling experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Office Suite.
- The ability to successfully multitask projects is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.