BI & Visualization Analyst
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year. For more information, please visit our website at: https://steward.org/
The BI & Visualization Analyst role will be instrumental in creating and maintaining the Tableau environment for SMG’s Finance Department. As SMG continues to expand its use of BI tools to drive effective decision making, a plan to roll out an intuitive UI and development of UI standards to ensure seamless access to data will be required. The BI & Visualization Analyst will play a significant role in that process.
As a member of the FP&A Team, the BI & Visualization Analyst will work closely with Financial Analysts, Data Engineers, and Subject Matter Experts to help turn our financial and operational data into engaging visualizations and stories to provide insight to Senior Leadership. The BI & Visualization Analyst will also leverage SMG’s BI tools, primarily Tableau and Tableau Prep Builder, to create standardized reporting and distribution scripts using Tabcmd. They will also be responsible for managing projects independently.
The ideal candidate not only understands the technical aspect of business intelligence platforms, but also has experience responding to business inquiries and requests from Senior Leadership by understanding the data manipulation that is required to deliver an engaging story back to the business – all while leveraging the different visualization tools available. This candidate should also understand best practices related to the presentation of that data. An ideal candidate would also have experience building intuitive Tableau reporting packets and UIs in a corporate work environment. Preferably, this candidate understands healthcare industry data and best practices related to presentation of that data.
- Responsible for gathering requirements from users, overseeing development, performing unit and QA test, assisting users with UAT and rolling out to production
- Collaborate with data engineers, business analysts, subject matter experts, and senior leaders to identify useful and strategically relevant insights
- Develop and deploy operational dashboards and reports to create significant business impact
- Actively participate in and influence discussions around reporting requirements, infrastructure needs, and design with internal partners
- Collaborate with data owners to improve and streamline processes regarding data flow and data quality to improve data accuracy, viability, and value
- Assist in developing best practices for data sharing across the organization
- Recommend approaches or tools to increase the effectiveness of this role
- Create and maintain technical design documentation
- Provide additional support for users through training, documentation, system access, report writing guidance, and query resolution to help them analyze, understand, and utilize data most effectively
- Experience building intuitive dashboards, preferably leveraging Tableau and Tableau Prep Builder
- Experience creating automated report distributions using Tabcmd
- Advanced Excel experience
- Experience with SQL development
- Ability to summarize complex processes and communicate findings to non-technical senior leaders
- Ability to work in both team environment and independently
- Ability to anticipate how to successfully enable end users to consume and comprehend complex data sets
- Exposure to and understanding of financial processes and concepts
- Experience in sourcing data from different systems with a thorough understanding of their data models, ETL workflow, and tools
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Proven documentation and organizational skills
- Creative energy and a sense of humor
- Highly effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics, a Science, Management Information Systems, or other equivalent field
- 2-3 years of experience in an Analytics / BI development role
Preferred but not required Competencies:
- Experience using Python, R, Stata, and/or Hadoop
- Exposure to Health Catalyst
- Experience using Qliksense and/or PowerBI
- Experience using VBA to automate Excel reporting
- Experience or exposure to Meditech, Lawson, Kronos, Kaufman Haul’s Axiom
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 6276