Cardiology Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner - 9:00am-5:30pm
Allied Health/ Other Nursing
SMG - Methuen Area
Steward Medical Group: Methuen Area
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Cardiology Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) provides care to patients with acute and chronic cardiovascular conditions including patients undergoing cardiac catheterization procedures, and Electrophysiology procedures. The Cardiology NP/PA practice is consistent with established advanced practice guidelines and in accordance with a collaborative practice agreement with a medical staff cardiologist. The Cardiology NP/PA utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent, or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems. In collaboration with the physician, the NP/PA follows and manages patients enhancing many aspects of patient care including core measures, patient throughput, and efficient coordination of care after discharge. In addition to direct patient assessment and treatment, the Cardiology NP/PA provides consultative services, inter and intradepartmental liaison, education, and clinical performance improvement leadership.
The Cardiology NP/PA will incorporate both independent decision making abilities and collaborate with the physicians, interdisciplinary care team, and leadership to provide expert care to the patients.
* Support efficient management of observation patients with known/potential cardiac diagnoses such as chest pain, syncope, dysrhythmias.
* Assure that all cardiac observation patients are seen at least daily
o Assist in arranging triaging for the ambulatory site those tests that are not essential for a safe discharge plan.
o Assist with initial and follow up cardiology consult visits under the supervision/ direction of the attending cardiologist.
* Exercise Stress, Stress Echo and Stress Nuclear Administration.
* Assist with the admission and discharge of outpatients presenting for cath lab procedures (diagnostic cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology/pacemaker procedures)
o Responsibilities include:
* Admission History and Physicals
* Ordering and Interpreting Lab and Diagnostic Studies
* Initiating emergency measures
* Discharge summary
* Discharge planning
* Cath lab pre-procedure assessment
* Cath lab assessment for Moderate sedation
* Management of cath access site issues
* Management of pacemaker site/wounds
* Patient teaching
o Augment the hospital's patient education and discharge planning for patients with CHF who are at risk for readmission
* Provide targeted educational materials and appropriate patient teach-back activities, etc.
* Assure timely outpatient follow up for cardiac patients at high risk for readmission.
* Participate in on-call assignments and demonstrate flexibility to cover staffing as needed.
* Analyze pertinent clinical data, communicate findings and document information appropriately.
* Collaborates with interdisciplinary care team to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordination of resources.
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay, and overutilization of resources.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for hospital based staff.
* Actively participate in patient safety and clinical process improvement projects.
* Administer all medications/procedural sedation according to hospital policy.
* Becomes proficient in placing central lines
* Document according to policies and procedures.
* Adhere to hospital policies and procedures; support the mission of the hospital.
* Maintain a safe working environment to include radiation safety/appropriate personal protection attire.
* Communicate effectively with peers, managers, ancillary departments and other customers.
* Cardiac Cath Lab/ Electrophysiology (EP):
o Assist with admission and discharge of patients presenting to Cath Lab for EP procedures
* Full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
* Knowledge of medical terminology and critical care operations.
* Demonstrate clinical expertise in creating and maintaining a sterile field.
* Computer skills versatile enough to work on multiple platforms.
* Ability to work in tandem with other NPs and Doctors.
* Ability to maintain records and files.
* Ability to stand for a long period of time.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
1. Requirements include: Completion of Masters program in Adult Acute Care NP or Adult Primary Care NP or Physician Assistant
2. NP or PA board certification required
3. MA state license
4. At least 3-5 years of previous experience working in a dedicated cardiology practice or hospital setting.
5. Must meet all requirements to be admitted to the Medical Staff.
6. Secure privileges to perform exercise stress tests in the hospital (studies to be interpreted by cardiologists)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 100023332