Chief Physician Assistant - 7:00pm-7:00am
SMG - Norwood Area
Norwood Surgical PA
MA licensure is required.
2-3 years experience required
Computer skills are required.
Customer service skills are required.
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Chief Physician Assistant will be a member of the General Surgery team at Norwood Hospital which will include Orthopedics, OBGYN, Urology and Neurosurgery. The Chief PA will provide patient care to both inpatients, including the ICU, as well as the Emergency Department. The PA will function under the direction and supervision of a Physician in any area they are assisting. The Chief Physician Assistant provides high quality, cost-effective patient care by performing admission consults, surgical preparation procedures, peri- and post- operative procedures and medical management. The Chief PA will assist in performing surgical and other procedures.
Responsibilities to patients:
* The Chief PA will be responsible for creating and maintaining the surgical hospitalist schedule
* The Chief PA will perform detailed histories and physical exams, review patients medical records, order laboratories studies, radiological and diagnostic studies appropriate to patient's complaint, age, sex, race and physical condition
* Will be responsible for surgical consultations both in the Emergency Department and for inpatients
* Will participate in daily multidisciplinary rounds, record appropriate and accurate daily progress notes
* The Chief PA will provide patients and families with pre-operative and other pertinent education. They will answer questions regarding surgery, recovery and risk factor modification, procedures
* The Chief PA will arrange for hospital admission and discharge at the direction of the supervising physician
Responsibilities to other PAs:
* Responsible for implementation of changes in coverage, recruiting, assignments, etc. needed due to changes in patient need or skills available
* Accountable for initial orientation (or oversight thereof) and probation & evaluation of PA new hires
* Responsible for managing time off requests from PAs/Moonlighters based upon needs of the Hospital
* Troubleshoot and implement any operational changes in order to improve the quality of care being delivered
* Bring any PA/Moonlighter related issues or concerns to the Chair & the practice manager's attention on a timely basis
* Assist in the recruitment of new PAs to the service and help facilitate the on-boarding process and initial training period
Perform or assist in the following procedures as allowed per medical staff privileges:
* Incision and drainage wounds
* Post pyloric feeding tube placement
* Endotracheal Tube Intubation
* Central Line placement
* Foley Catheter Insertion
* Radial Artery Cannulation
* Assisting in the OR (General Surgery, OBGYN, Ortho, Urology, Neurosurgery)
* Occasional chest tubes in the ICU
* Surgical consults in the ER including incision and drainage of wounds and laceration repairs
* Surgical Histories and Physicals
* Admitting patients if needed
* Prepping for the OR
* Massachusetts license to practice as a Physician Assistant
o Start date contingent on successful enrollment of insurance payors
* DEA / Massachusetts Control Substance licensure
* Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant Program
* 4-5 years of experience in a surgical program preferred (or 2-3 years as a Chief Surgical PA)
* Current BLS and ACLS certification
At Steward, we believe in honesty, integrity and the importance of community care. More importantly, we believe in our people. We offer competitive salaries and benefits. All inquiries will remain confidential. Steward Health Care System is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 100015386