Clinical Nurse Practitioner
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the supervision of a physician:
• Perform medical consults on all new admissions within twenty four hours.
• Daily physical assessment and daily rounding on all patients.
• Respond to nursing staff concerning medical issues.
• Consult with the supervising physician regarding physical findings and course of treatment.
• Order appropriate medications per his/her expertise as determined by the supervising physician or designee.
• Order simple diagnostic tests per his/her level of expertise as determined by the supervising physician or designee.
• Initiate consultations to other services, authorized by the supervising physician or designee.
• Respond appropriately during unexpected events, codes, medical emergencies (i.e., seizures). Defibrillation can be done provided there is documentation of annual training (ACLS Certification).
• Evaluate specific minor illness and injury of patients as defined by approved medical protocols.
• Order safety restraints, when appropriate.
• Collaborate with health care professionals in the planning, implementation and coordination of health teaching and counseling of the patient, family or patient representative. Document patient level of understanding.
• Responsible for providing on-call coverage via telephone as needed
• The NP will report on and off duty as scheduled. The NP will report patient status changes, progress, and issues to the treating attending of record and to referring physicians as required and maintain communication as needed to meet patient and services needs.
• In collaboration with the Supervising Physician, the NP communicates the plan of care with all referring providers, MD of record, as well as the patient and her family.
• May also be responsible for coordination with other clinical staff, nurses, other physicians involved in the care of patients.
• The NP shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality of all Steward Medical Group and patient related information.
• The NP shall abide by all Steward Medical Group policies & procedures.
• Comply with all OMH regulatory equipment.
• Graduation from and accredited NP program
• Current Advance Cardiac Life Support Certification
• Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification
• Two years’ experience as an Affiliate Practitioner preferred
• Current Massachusetts license to practice as a Nurse Practitioner is required
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrate clinical expertise for functioning in an independent role
• Excellent interpersonal relationships and communication skills for working with patients, families, and other staff
• Ability to collaborate and effectively communicate with physicians and other health care professionals and support staff
• Ability to be self-directed and demonstrate initiative in addressing responsibilities of the position
• Ability to complete forms and other paperwork appropriately in a timely manner