Are you looking for an exciting, professional career with a company that treats each individual with dignity and respect? We take pride in our work and organization knowing that we each make a difference in the lives of our patients every day!
Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated Medical Coder
We aim to create a supportive environment where you can develop your skills and further your career path with a passionate team of employees who are all driven to learn from one another.
The successful candidate will:
1. Communicate with providers and practices ensuring all encounter forms are current.
2. Disseminate information regarding new codes and/or coding policies either by payer or through regulations.
3. Create and maintain department processes and controls according to Professional Coding Standards, CMS Standards, HIPAA, OIG, and the State of Massachusetts as well as national payer coding guidelines as they pertain to professional coding and reimbursement.
4. Educate providers and clinical staff through review and education of documentation.
5. Champion coding compliance, through Revenue Cycle team utilization of recognized professional references, and adherence to established coding convention and regulation.
6. Participate in departmental and physician network performance improvement initiatives.
7. Safeguards medical records and preserves the confidentiality of personal health information through the observance of physician network policies pertinent to the release of medical record information, record retention, and HIPAA privacy and security.
8. Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree in Health Information Technology or related business degree or equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Current certification as a CPC or CCS-P.
- Specialty coding and auditing.
- Computer literacy of medical information system, records management software, encoders.
- Demonstrated coding (ICD-9-CM and CPT) expertise.
- Understanding of third party reimbursement rules and regulations.
- Experience with encoder software.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Professional interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Attentive to detail and organization
- Vacation, holiday and sick time
- Medical, dental, vision and other elective insurances
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401K with company contribution
- Supportive culture and professional development
- Internal growth opportunities
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward Physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Hawthorn Medical Associates, an affiliate of Steward Health Care, was established in 1970 and is the largest multi-specialty group practice in the Greater New Bedford area. We have many of the area’s finest physicians who practice in our state-of-the-art facilities in a campus-like setting. They are supported by a skilled professional and support staff and together provide high quality, comprehensive medical care to more than 138,000 patients each year.