As SMG continues to expand its use of BI tools to drive effective decision-making, the data engineer will play an instrumental role of providing actionable insight to key business stakeholders. Under the direction of the Director of Business Intelligence, the primary responsibility of the ‹data engineer is to develop optimized and effective data sources for analysts and other users across the SMG enterprise, along with supporting business intelligence tools and initiatives. The engineer also produces BI product and other activities as needed in support of the business intelligence department and its customers.
- Automates ETL and BI distribution processes using Python/Tableau API, standard integration tools such as SSIS, and other tools as needed
- Develops database and data warehouse solutions primarily within our Health Catalyst environment with partnership with and oversight from the larger team as well as corporate information systems
- Data profiles and masters an understanding of the data in source systems as well as data stewards work product (e.g. conformed dimensions)
- Partners with the BI team in translating business requirements into technical requirements and subsequently writes and maintains technical requirements and systems schemas
- Performs quality control of data engineering work product, identifies and recommends quality assurance opportunities
- Partners with department members to influence discussions regarding requirements design, product roadmap, product design, and infrastructure needs
- Collaborates with team members, leaders, subject-matter experts, customers, information systems, and others in the performance of duties
- Performs ad hoc data report development and BI staff outage coverage as needed
- Performs other data engineering and BI activities as needed
- 2+ years of Microsoft SQL Server experience, including the development of complex, efficient SQL queries and scripts
- 2+ years of database design and a demonstrated understanding of data warehouse dimensional design
- 2+ years in data engineering duties including database development and ETL develop
- 1+ years of developing coded solutions; python strongly preferred
- Experience with buiding data warehouse solutions on a data warehouse platform such as Health Catalyst is strong preferred
- Ability to anticipate how to successfully enable end users to consume BI product and anticipate the meaning and needs within requirements documentation and requirements discussions
- Ability to comprehend meaning within as well as sniff test complex data sets
- Effective communicator, both written and verbally
- Experience in sourcing data from disparate systems with a good understanding of their data models and ETL workflow
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Science/Engineering, Management Information Systems, Business, or an equivalent field
- Driven to accomplish goals provided with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Able to multitask and effectively prioritize development efforts
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence or other issue tracking products
- Proven documentation and organizational skills
The Ideal Candidate
- Collaborative spirit, contributes to team dynamic
- Creative energy and a sense of humor
- Possesses a myriad of tools in their tool belt to assist in SMG’s continued investment into more robust reporting tools and methodologies
- Able to communicate effectively with non-technical users, provide expertise and strategic recommendations to team
- Able to design processes and products in a scalable manner
- Understands that becoming an effective developer requires a base level understanding of business rules and partners with SME’s to deepen their knowledge of the business
- Experienced managing their individual projects and timelines
- Experienced automating workflows using in Powershell and/or Python REST API’s
- MS in analytics, information systems, data science, or related field is preferred
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.