Director, Psychiatry & Behavioral Health Operations
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year. For more information, please visit our website at: https://steward.org/
This position is responsible for comprehensive practice management of multiple outpatient psychiatry practices across the Steward system with the potential of additional satellite locations. The position works collaboratively with administrative and physician leadership to ensure that the practices are being actively managed to improve provider productivity, enhance operational efficiencies, and to ensure that patients are receiving high quality care in the outpatient setting. In addition, the Director will be responsible for building and supporting Steward’s Telepsychiatry program.
- Serves as the primary administrator for services at the practices working closely with the medical and practice staff. Acts as the liaison between physicians, staff, Steward Medical Group and Hospital Administration. Maintains effective communication with staff at all levels in a timely and effective manner.
- Directly supervises all non-clinical staff within the outpatient psychiatry practices (Behavioral Health) at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center. Additional sites may be added in the future.
- Establishes budgeted staffing level for each assigned Steward Medical Group department. Works in close concert with the Chief of Psychiatry, Executive Director, and Human Resources Advisor to recruit, select and hire support staff.
- Works with Human Resources regarding the completion and delivery of annual performance reviews.
- Works with the Director and Human Resources on the resolution of employee relations issues and performance improvement training.
- Oversees necessary training needs of assigned Steward Medical Group and hospital employees.
- Manages the staff schedules to provide coverage and/or arranges for emergency float coverage of support staff as required.
- Develops the annual capital and operating budgets and reviews monthly financial activity and reporting. Works closely with the Director and physicians in budget planning and fiscal review. Interacts with the Steward Medical Group and hospital finance departments on all relevant financial issues. Ensures cost containment guidelines are met for the individual practices. Reports discrepancies to the Executive Director of Operations.
- Coordinates all operating capital expenditures, site renovations, medical equipment and computers.
- Liason with the Central Billing office to maximize revenue associated with the patient billing process for the Practice and ensure accurate data collections.
- Responsible for training coordination for physicians and staff in billing and Steward policies and procedures to capture accurate billable information in a timely fashion. Manages staff regarding the utilization IS systems to ensure efficient and accurate billing of encounters.
- Ensures proper invoicing and tracking of accounts receivables and payments to vendors.
- Assists in the development of business plans for new sites or practices. Oversees the implementation of new sites including staff recruitment, equipment/supply purchasing, build-out/relocation management and the development of operating procedures.
- Works closely with the Executive Director of Operations/COO, Steward Medical Group physicians and the Steward Medical Group Public Affairs and Planning departments to effectively market and develop Steward Medical Group departments and office sites.
- Works with the Information Services and Patient Financial Services to develop and improve the flow of patient account information via automation of manual activities and electronic interfacings.
- Directs the onboarding and training programs for behavioral health residents and medical interns.
- Provides information and assistance to patients to ensure effective patient relations. Works with the Director to investigate and proactively resolves patient complaints and concerns.
- Maintains an optimal physical environment for the offices and reports any unsafe conditions, inoperative equipment or other adverse conditions appropriately.
- Ensures compliance with all Steward policies and procedures. Participates in development and evaluation of departmental policies and procedures.
- Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all Steward Medical and client-related and patient-related data and information.
- Will assist in setting up a multi-location Telepsychiatry program to support local Steward Hospitals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office. SMS experience preferred.
- Ability to speak, read and comprehend the English language fluently required
- Strong interpersonal communication, managerial and organizational skills required.
- In-depth knowledge of private practice systems, including medical practice operations and supervision.
- Patient relations, staffing, billing systems, budget and financial reporting and patient flow and scheduling required.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products required.
- Ability to analyze and solve operational issues independently and creatively required.
- Strong orientation to patient care in accordance with the values of the Steward Health Care System.
- Strong leadership and people management qualities.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Strong analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills.
- Ability to create, accept or adapt to change
- Ability to monitor and understand budgets and financial reports.
- Ability to set priorities and follow through.
- Ability to make difficult decisions.
- Ability to manage within a flexible schedule.
- Ability to coordinate and develop new programs and personnel.
- Computer literacy.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8438