Director, SMG, Radiology & Emergency Department - CMGE Ed at Semc
SMG - Boston/Brighton Area
CMGE Ed at Semc
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
In collaboration with the hospital Chiefs, plays a key administrative and operational role within Steward Medical Group (SMG) Emergency Medicine and Radiology across all Florida hospital markets. The Director is responsible for financial, administrative, operations and business affairs support to the Executive Director including but not limited to: staffing, liaison with the billing company and hospital departments, strategic planning, computer systems, establishing standards for intra-departmental operations and procedures, accounts payable and report analysis, payroll and preparation and management of annual operating budgets. Direct and indirect accountability for managing staff, including physicians, advanced practitioners, per diem staff members, and support of staff/professional employees. Responsibility includes performance and management of annual budget.
· In conjunction with Department Chairs, provides administrative and operational support with delegated responsibility for planning and managing the administrative/business affairs of the departments. Under the Executive Director, accountable for the department's business/strategic plan, development and control of departmental budgets, helping to facilitate continuous improvements in operating efficiency, and coordinating departmental staffing activities.
· Facilitates process for the development of the department's annual strategic/business plan and coordinates activities to assist in the execution of the plan.
· Produces revenue forecasts and develops and manages the department's annual budget. Provides on-going performance updates, including understanding and explanation of positive and negative variances to Site Chiefs and Steward Leadership with work out planning to resolve negative performance.
· Collaborates with Steward and hospital leadership on various financial initiatives, including but not limited to co pay collection, admits before midnight, coding/billing, etc.
· Collects and reviews departmental needs by category and recommends priorities based on availability of funds. Devises funding strategies and approves and monitors expenditures of funds, and non-operating grant monies.
· Proactively performs analytical studies of existing or proposed services and activities to provide the economic basis for management decisions to improve operational/financial performance and to realize productivity improvements.
· Gathers cost and market, financial and operational information, prepares reports and evaluates/cites implications for improvements in financial performance/productivity. Prepares reports that analyze operational/financial performance with past, current year budget and forecasts.
· Identifies trends and interprets cause and effect and highlights opportunities to improve performance.
· Gathers, selects, utilizes information on appropriate healthcare industry operational performance benchmarks to establish the most appropriate standards and reporting metrology (performance metrics) to foster on-going improvements in operating efficiency/process improvements.
· In conjunction with the Chairs, resolves organizational/personnel issues, such as the development and execution of organizational/staffing plans for faculty and non-faculty, recruitment activities, providing performance data for physician compensation plans, administering merit increase programs, etc.
· In coordination with Steward Marketing and SMG leadership, develops and executes marketing plans and advertising and promotional activities for promoting department services to the community and outside groups. Coordinates Planning and Marketing management.
· Monitors and reports on relevant healthcare business trends that significantly impact the development and execution of the departmental strategic plan and activities.
· Provides advice and counsel to the Chairs on a variety of administrative matters.
· Responsible for the development and maintenance of, and adherence to, departmental policies.
· Represents the department at administrative meetings within and outside Steward.
· Directs and supervises assigned personnel including performance evaluations, scheduling, orientation, and training. Makes recommendations on employee hires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, discipline, terminations and similar actions.
· Develops and recommends the budgets for the areas managed and manages activities to assure financial goals are met.
· Coordinates the assignment of tasks and helps resolve technical and operational problems.
· Provides effective direction, guidance and leadership over the staff for effective teamwork and motivation, fosters the effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives.
· Participates in performance improvement initiatives and demonstrates the use of quality improvement in daily operations. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies such as: JCAHO, DPH, CMS, etc. Develops and maintains procedures necessary to meet regulatory requirements.
· Directly supervise the non-clinical staff and manages human resource functions of Emergency and Radiology Staff in cooperation with SMG Human Resources.
· Responsible for creating and maintaining system to track clinical hours and to create systems to maintain up to date credentialing for all physicians. Oversees the billing process and is accountable for ensuring its accuracy. Analyzes monthly billing reports and is the liaison between the billing company and the physicians.
· Participates in the development and evaluation of those departmental policies and procedures that affect the administrative aspects of the department.
· Serves as the administrative liaison for the department working closely with medical staff. Acts as an information resource for administrative questions.
· Responsible for making recommendations for departmental restructuring and expansion. Assist with processing the necessary documentation and managerial support.
· Responsible for maintaining correspondence to outside vendors.
· Trains staff (physicians, administrative staff, and other staff as necessary) on existing programs and any new program or upgrades in a timely fashion. Oversees effective resource utilization along with cost control and containment.
· Maximizes patient billing for the department. Insures accurate data collection.
· Responsible for increasing receivables for the department through training of physicians and staff in Billing and Account Receivable policies and procedures to capture accurate billable information in a timely fashion.
· In concert with SMG Physician Contracting, oversees the contracting and renewal process for SMG physicians and mid-level providers.
· Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· Bachelor's degree in a related field, or equivalent amount of education and experience.
· Minimum of 5 years in healthcare with at least 2 years within a leadership role.
· Demonstrated ability to lead change and work collaboratively with others at all levels of the organization.
· Demonstrated commitment to the principles of continuous improvement and to the organizational mission and values.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact positively with a wide range of constituents.
· Demonstrate skills in business analysis and/or financial management.
· Excellent communication and leadership skills, and ability to work independently and autonomously.
· Good technical/computer skills and organizational skills.
· Proven excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to present information to small and, at times, large audiences.
· Ability to function effectively within an ever-changing environment and to meet deadlines and reprioritize as necessary.
· Ability to work both independently and within a team environment and a multi-dimensional environment.
· Creative, flexible, self-motivated, professional must possess sound judgment ability to plan and initiate new activities consistent with achieving service excellence.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 51566