Financial Business Analyst
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the direction of the Manager of Finance, the Financial Business Analyst is responsible for creating, analyzing and maintaining multiple practice and provider financial statements to support SMG's strategic initiatives and overall performance. The optimal candidate for this role is a deadline-oriented person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The Financial Business Analyst is a key member of SMG's corporate team, and is a significant contributor to achieving all of its financial performance goals.
- Own financials for multiple hospital markets; be the subject matter expert on market activity.
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and analysis, meeting organizational and departmental deadlines.
- Participate in monthly financial performance review with senior leadership and practice directors; possess clear and effective communication skills
- Develop financial models for productivity, compensation, and expense management control.
- Drive productivity and efficiency through collaborating with practice directors to develop and publish both financial and operational dashboards.
- Partner with practice directors to create annual operating budgets, exercise critical thinking in identifying variances to plan and determining solutions to those variances.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Respond timely to emails and phone messages within a 24 hour period.
- Use tact, sensitivity and professionalism in communicating effectively and respectfully with the leadership team, physicians, co-workers and others.
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of restricted records and communications.
- Maintain the values and philosophy of the mission statement of the company.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong analytical, trouble-shooting and communication skills are required.
• Strong understanding of financial concepts, with modeling experience a plus.
• Confidentiality is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, information systems, or business management.
- 1 or more years work experience, healthcare experience preferred but not required.
- Experience in working with and analyzing budget variances.
- Advanced user experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Other Microsoft application experience is a plus.
- Experience with Kaufman Hall Budget Advisor, Meditech financial modules or Athena not required, but very helpful.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3291