Medical Assistant/Medical Secretary - 8:00am-5:00pm
Allied Health/ Other Nursing
SMG - North Dartmouth Area
General Summary and Job Overview:
Under general supervision and following established protocols and procedures, assists providers in treatment of patients and is responsible for scheduling, referral management, check-out, telephone triage, and general office functions. Depending upon location, may also be responsible for patient reception/registration. Refer to Receptionist Job Description if applicable. Performs in accordance with the facility's policies and procedures. Follows the facility's standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Demonstrates courteous, professional, and cooperative behavior towards patients, visitors, coworkers, and providers.
* Performs duties as a team member, integrating activities with fellow employees and providers.
* Courteously answers the phone, screens and triages calls appropriately. Receives messages, prescription refill requests and performs other telephone duties as required.
* Assist with patient care. In doing so, ensures the patient is properly prepared, verifies relevant information with patient and assures proper positioning. Assists the provider during any in-office procedures. Utilize aseptic techniques as necessary. Maintains all supplies needed for these procedures in a clean and organized manner.
* Be knowledgeable in the operation of all medical devices and equipment used during the workday.
* Be knowledgeable regarding systems necessary to check patient reports/appointments and schedule appointments accurately and efficiently within established scheduling protocols. Effectively troubleshoot minor problems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
* Obtain and prepare laboratory specimens for testing including phlebotomy.
* Perform injections as certified and permissible by law and in accordance with established protocols and procedures.
* Responsible for cleaning exam room(s) and maintaining equipment between patients and at the end of the day in accordance with established protocol; documents accordingly. Maintains a clean work area, prepares the equipment, patient room(s), and stock supplies.
* In a timely fashion, informs appropriate personnel when orders need to be placed.
* Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient including patient charts, filing, and follow-up phone calls.
* Coordinates mail processing for office to include: receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing of records / correspondence, and responding to other general office requests via mail.
* Manages physician schedules by following up on patient no-shows, sending out reminder cards, and/ or providing telephone reminders for office visit in accordance with established protocol.
* Maintain effective working relations and communication with departmental and other Hawthorn Medical personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
* Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations as they become necessary.
* Perform all other duties as directed.
Successful completion of a degree or certificate program in Medical Assisting. High School diploma or equivalent. At least 2 years of relevant professional experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities Required:
* Must be flexible, customer/patient focused, possess a positive attitude, have interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress; bi-lingual communication skills helpful.
* Must possess strong learning aptitude and analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of basic medical processes, techniques, and procedures.
* Possess an ability to work well both independently and on a team in a fast paced environment..
* Must be physically capable of lifting linens, supplies, and patients while utilizing proper body mechanics.
* Must be aware of hazards within the department and adhere to safety standards as stated by OSHA.
* Maintains CPR certification and is capable of initiating emergency life support actions as necessary. Knows the location of all emergency drugs and supplies. Participates in the monitoring of emergency supplies including expiration dates.
* After satisfactorily completing the initial employment period, including the laboratory orientation, must demonstrate proficiency in phlebotomy (as needed), injections authorized by HMA, and satisfactorily complete the written HMA medicine administration exam.
* Ability to take vital signs appropriately.
* Knowledge of phone systems, computer systems and ability to type. Understanding of medical terminology, understanding of different insurance plans and referral procedures preferred.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 100022957