Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
This position functions as a member of the administrative team by performing a variety of secretarial duties to ensure the smooth day-to-day operations of the physician's office. Duties include, but are not limited to, answering telephones, making appointments, assembling patient charts, scheduling surgery and testing, typing, transcription, data entry and filing.
The Medical Assistant is a member of the health care team who assists the professional care givers in providing quality care to patients. Duties also include, but are not limited to, answering telephones, making appointments, assembling patient charts, data entry and filing.
- Answers and triages all telephone calls, routes calls appropriately taking into consideration the extent of emergency or priority of the call, takes messages, follows through with each message ensuring that the proper physician or staff member has received the information, and provides routine information to callers.
- Prepares the daily schedules for the office, pulls and prepares the patient charts ensuring that the proper chart has been selected and the appropriate paperwork has been attached to the chart (i.e., encounter form, etc.).
- Schedules outpatient procedures and applicable testing for patients as directed.
- Schedules patients' appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed. Verifies information from patients including demographic and health insurance information.
- Prepares documents for billing physician encounters, enters data, ensures that referrals are received, etc.
- Types correspondence, forms and other documents are requested. Enters information into the computer system. Transcribes dictation of a highly confidential nature.
- Organizes and updated files, charts, and records.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality. Conforms to the Confidentiality Policy of the Faculty Practice Plan.
- Responsible for general filing, stocking of supplies and assists in ordering supplies.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Performs work to meet schedules and to facilitate quality team health care to patients
- Reports significant observations and patient problems to professional care givers
- Maintains confidentiality of patients' records and problems
- Provides and maintains a clean, orderly, and safe environment
- Attends in-service programs appropriate to clinical areas
- Performs non-nursing functions which impact and contribute to the quality of patient care as directed by the Clinical Staff
- Cross-trains with front desk staff
- Terminal cleaning and infection control
- Functions in role of Medical Assistant - takes vital signs, EKGs, chief complaints, etc.
- Prepares the patient and equipment; chaperoning female patients as needed
- Cleans instruments and equipment, as needed
- Maintains a clean, orderly, and safe environment
- Provides and maintains supplies, equipment, and linen for the assigned clinical areas
- Reports significant observations and patient problems through proper channels
- Maintains confidentiality of patient records and problems; treats patients and families with respect
- Attends nursing meetings and in-service programs appropriate to the clinical areas
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School diploma
- Graduate of Medical Assistant Program preferred.
- Previous Medical Assistant or Nursing Assistant experience.
- Previous experience in a health care setting as a Medical Assistant or a comparable position.
- Ability to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
- Ability to complete mathematical computations required to perform tasks.
- Ability to lift, transfer, and move patients.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Medical terminology preferred
- Word-processing and computer data entry experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products, preferred.
- Experience with organization of medical charts preferred.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and solve them creatively.