General Summary and Job Overview:
Under general supervision and following established protocols and procedures, assists providers in treatment of patients in Urgent Care setting. Performs in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures. Follows the facility’s standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with patient care. In doing so, ensures the patient is properly identified and prepared, verifies relevant information with patient and assures proper positioning. Assists the provider during any in-office procedures. Utilize aseptic techniques as necessary. Maintains all supplies needed for these procedures in a clean and organized manner.
- Be knowledgeable in the operation of all medical devices and equipment used during the workday.
- The ability to prioritize patient needs, maintaining continuous communication with providers and other team members on the status of patients within the clinic.
- Be knowledgeable in all clinical procedures including, but not limited to, vital signs, wound care, laceration procedures, preparation of sterile fields, splinting, assisting with respiratory distress, orthostatic care, discontinuance of IV medications and staple and suture removal techniques.
- Be knowledgeable regarding systems necessary to check appointments and patient reports.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory specimens for testing including rapid streps, rapid flu and urine specimens.
- Perform injections as certified and permissible by law and in accordance with established protocols and procedures.
- Responsible for cleaning exam room(s) and maintaining equipment between patients and at the end of the day in accordance with established protocol; documents accordingly. Maintain a clean work area; prepare the equipment, patient room(s), and stock supplies.
- Informs appropriate personnel, in a timely fashion, when orders need to be placed.
- Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient including patient charts, filing, and follow-up phone calls if necessary.
- Maintain effective working relations and communication with departmental and other Hawthorn Medical personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
- Effectively troubleshoot minor problems with equipment and other systems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations as they become necessary.
- Attend mandated classes and meetings.
- Perform all other duties as directed.
- Successful completion of a degree or certificate program in Medical Assisting. 2 years relevant professional Medical Assisting experience preferred.
- Successful completion of clinical skills list relevant to the specifics of the Urgent Care Department along with a minimum of 6 months to 1 year of training as a Medical Assistant in the Urgent Care Department or equivalent external training in Urgent Care setting.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Due to the nature of the department, employee must be able to multi-task and work effectively and efficiently with several providers at one time.
- Must have interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress; bi-lingual communication skills helpful.
- Must possess analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of basic medical processes, techniques, and procedures.
- Presents a positive attitude and a professional appearance in compliance with the dress code policy.
- Must be physically capable of lifting linens, supplies, and patients while utilizing proper body mechanics.
- Must be aware of hazards within the department and adhere to safety standards as stated by OSHA.
- Maintains CPR certification and is capable of initiating emergency life support actions as necessary. Knows the location of all emergency drugs and supplies. Participates in the monitoring of emergency supplies including expiration dates.
- After satisfactorily completing the initial employment period, including the laboratory orientation, must demonstrate proficiency in phlebotomy (as needed), injections authorized by HMA, and satisfactorily complete the written HMA medical assistant certification exam.
- Ability to take vital signs appropriately.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 2864