The role of the Medical Assistant (MA) is to provide outstanding support to physicians and healthcare providers while providing exceptional care to patients and customers within the clinical scope of an MA. The MA ensures that patients are welcomed in a warm and friendly manner and sees that their needs and expectations are met. MA's are responsible for ensuring the smooth operations in the fast-paced environment of the clinic with the goal of a positive patient experience with every encounter.
- Coordinates with clinic staff to ensure a positive patient flow and waiting room experience
- Place patients in exam rooms after registration, ensuring that chart reflects current complaint/condition, medical history, and any test results appropriate to follow-up visits. Take appropriate vital signs and document in chart.
- Assists provider with collection, documentation, processing, and verification of information related to patient care in an EMR system
- Obtains authorizations to perform tests, procedures, or referrals to outside providers.
- Set-up room and/or equipment, and stock with up to date required supplies for patient care
- Maintain cleanliness of clinic areas, exam rooms and medical implements before and after patient use. Uses bleach solution or antimicrobial solution for cleaning as appropriate.
- Performs and/or assists physician with tests/procedures available in the office per their orders and in accordance with established safety and infection control procedures.
- Ensures that blood or tissue samples are sent to appropriate referral laboratory.
- Assist with contacting pharmacies for new or refill prescriptions per physician approval.
- Coordinate patient’s office visit discharge and if needed assists in arranging for diagnostic tests or referral exams.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and packages surgical instruments/packs in the office setting.
- Prepares all charts for next day’s appointments by reviewing physician notes to determine what must be available for the visit. To include retrieving x-rays, lab results, etc.
- Maintains and rotates appropriate supplies/medications to be stocked in exam rooms. Appropriately discards any out of date medications.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family.
- Always maintains HIPAA confidentiality
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Graduate of Medical Assistant training program
- High School diploma or equivalent
- One-year experience
- CPR/FA Certification
Steward Medical Group offers a comprehensive benefits package, with multiple options to fit your needs.
- Health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- No deductibles apply to services provided by a Steward provider
- Office visit copays are $0 when a member uses a Steward provider
- Mental health and substance abuse visits have a $0 copay for all in-network providers
- Flex spending
- Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Tuition reimbursement
- with company match
- Paid time off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.