Occupational Therapy Assistant - Hawthorn Physical Therapy
Allied Health/ Other Nursing
SMG - North Dartmouth Area
Hawthorn Physical Therapy
Responsible for providing direct patient care based on treatment plan established by Occupational Therapist. Performs in accordance with the facility's policies and procedures. Follows the facility's standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Carries out treatment plan as prescribed by physician and developed by Occupational Therapist.
2. Operates therapeutic equipment and devices including ultrasound, splint pan, paraffin, exercise apparatus, iontophoresis, electrical stimulators, and heat/cold modalities.
3. Documents care and other patient information for medical record including history, treatment, consultations.
4. Complies with department policies/procedures and regulations related to infection control, safety, quality improvement.
5. Assists with exam/exercise room cleanliness, equipment maintenance, supply inventorying/stocking.
6. The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to job position.
7. Perform all other duties as directed.
EDUCATION: High School diploma, Associates Degree as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. Successful completion of accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant curriculum.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year experience, preferably in an outpatient clinic setting. Successful completion of clinical affiliations.
REQUIREMENTS: Current state PTA license; CPR certification.
Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Knowledge of occupational therapy principles, standards, practices.
2. Knowledge of how to use occupational therapy equipment and devices.
3. Knowledge of policies, regulations.
4. Knowledge of diagnoses treated in outpatient OT setting such as wrist fractures, digit fractures, sprains, and tendonitis. CRPS/RSD, carpal tunnel, tendon repairs, ligament injuries, overuse syndromes, fibromyalgia, etc.
1. Skill in appropriate compliance with OT's instructions.
2. Skill in using all devices effectively.
3. Skill in appropriate compliance with infection control, safety and QI standards.
4. Knowledge of basic splints and their purpose.
5. Willingness to become independent with basic static splints.
1. Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, staff and establish/maintain effective relationships.
2. Ability to use effective clinical problem-solving/decision-making by careful observation of patient and recommendation of appropriate treatment changes.
3. Ability to use departmental systems properly to maintain organization effectively including computer scheduling.
Primarily treatment/exercise room setting. Exposure to communicable diseases and other conditions common to therapy setting.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hand and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit or stand. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Exposure to heat devices such as: heat gun, splint pan, paraffin unit.
Considerable physical activity related to patient care including: standing, bending, stooping, and reaching. Must be able to lift/carry equipment up to 100 pounds and to move apparatus as needed. Requires ability to transfer/transport patients safely. Occasional stress from dealing with patient non-compliance.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 55433