Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
This position is responsible for all operational aspects of the employed community physicians’ office and BSPC , including but not limited to: staffing, patient relations, liaison with the central billing office, office planning, computer systems and protocol, establishing standards for office operations and procedures, equipment and supply ordering and accounts payable.
In addition, he/she will perform other related duties as required:
- Supervises all non-physician staff at the office.
- Responsible for hiring, disciplinary action, and evaluations of employment for all non-physician staff.
- Responsible for operating budget for the office, including planning, controlling costs and maximizing revenue.
- Responsible for coordinating all information, service statistics, billing data and other financial data with the central billing office.
- Manages staffing to ensure appropriate coverage at all times, hires staff as necessary and coordinates scheduling.
- Designs and manages scheduling systems with physician approval to maximize patient satisfaction and office efficiency.
- Determines office hours and staffing policies in conjunction with physician input.
- Assists off-site billing operations by developing and managing systems which ensure retrieval and maintenance of appropriate information on site, maintain appropriate records and transfer information needed to the central billing office.
- Provide information and assistance to patients to ensure effective patient relations.
- Responsible for maintaining the facility including managing any repairs or remodeling, service contracts on equipment and the inventory of all capital equipment.
- Responsible for communicating operational and financial status as needed and is the liaison with the central billing office.
- Responsible for designing systems and managing the daily function transactions of the office.
- Prepares documents for billing physician encounters, enters data, ensures that referrals are received, performs referral management, etc. Ensures that physician billing is accurately entered.
- Enters information into the computer system. Organizes and updates files, charts and records.
- Uses discretion at all times to ensure patient confidentiality. Conforms to the confidentiality policy of Steward Medical Group.
- Responsible for general filing, stocking of supplies and ordering supplies.
- Efficient in Athena
- High School diploma required; Associates degree preferred.
- Two to five years experience with financial management, operations and staff supervision in a private physician’s office or other health care setting.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Excellent computer skills including familiarity with Word, Excel and the Internet Ability to fluently read, write, speak and understand the English language required.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and telephone skills required.
- In-depth knowledge of practice office systems, including but not limited to insurance systems, policies and procedures as they impact on the practice, patient flow, patient relations, staffing, budget and financial reporting, billing systems and medical practice operations. Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals,
- Experience with organization of medical charts preferred.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and solve them creatively.
- Strong orientation to patient care.