Patient Financial Services Rep
The Patient Financial Services (PFS) representative will serve as a primary support to Steward Medical Group (SMG) patients regarding any concerns related to billing, self-pay balances, insurance payments, and all other financial matters. This position will also help in collection of patient payments, setting up payment agreements and assisting in portal services.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Answer incoming patient phone calls and make outbound collection calls on open balances
- Update patient insurance, confirming eligibility and queue claims for billing
- Troubleshoot and identify patient billing issues to resolve them to patient’s satisfaction
- Ability to explain and discuss SMG and PFS policies for better patient understanding
- Educate patients about third party and insurance processes, their plan benefits, and how they affect patient balances
- Evaluate accounts from both an insurance and self-pay perspective
- Evaluate accounts for self-pay refunds
- Advocate for patients and contact insurance companies on their behalf, when necessary, to resolve disputes
- Set up payment plans, monitor and make outbound calls to patients with broken promise to pay agreements
- Ability to approach patient and discuss open, unpaid or overdue balances
- Receive and process patient credit card payments, and allocate to appropriate visits on the account
- Evaluate accounts for bad debt placement and wok with bad debt vendor on patient issues and concerns
- Post appropriate discounts and adjustments to patient accounts
- Interact with supporting departments; coding, cash-ops, AR follow-up to resolve billing and payment issues
- Interact with practices communicating and working cooperatively with regarding patient billing issues
- Associates degree or relevant work experience required
- Medical billing experience required, preferably in a professional setting
- Knowledge of insurance rules/regulation and policies
- Professional Working Revenue Cycle experience in either an AR follow up, Cash-Ops, denial management or self-pay role
- Ability to identify billing trends affecting patient balances
- Ability to read, understand and interpret insurance Explanation of Benefits
- Prior experience with Athena preferred
- Experience with Excel, Word and Outlook required
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.