- Respond to requests from providers who are treating patients that require specialty appointments.
- Reduce barriers that keep patients from getting timely treatment by identifying patient needs and directing them to sources of support. The Navigator should find creative solutions to patient barriers.
- Work directly with patient and specialty providers within Steward to ensure that all appointments are kept in the network and scheduled within the appropriate timeframe.
- Obtain prior authorization for patient appointments.
- Build professional relationships with providers and establish appropriate communication methods to ensure requests for specialty appointments are received in a timely manner.
- Determine key contacts and maintain a presence with Steward specialty providers as well as office staff. The Navigator should be intimately familiar with provider specific specialties, so they can effectively schedule appointments for patients.
- Build awareness among providers/office staff, so they are familiar with Navigator services. Provide training if necessary.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation and quality improvement of the Navigator services to ensure best practices. Recommend areas of improvement to Steward Leadership.
- Determine the urgency of each patient need and schedule appointment in a timely fashion.
- Escalate issues with appointments to the specialty provider directly.
- Fulfill the duty and responsibility to maintain competence, and continued personal and professional growth.
- Track outcomes of referrals and provide reporting to Steward Leadership.
- Establish processes and standards that ensure consistent and optimal navigation
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent amount of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience: Three years of experience working within a healthcare environment, specifically working with providers and patients
- Software/Hardware: Strong knowledge in Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Must possess the ability to work independently with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills to support the management of multiple priorities, at multiple locations, with significant attention to detail for completion of both verbal and written external communications.
- Demonstrated competency in applying evidence based knowledge, theory, practices, principles and processes.
- Strong problem-solving, relationship building and advocacy skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload, handle multiple tasks and work independently.
- Ability to work with all levels of individuals within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to be a patient advocate and protect the health, safety and rights of the patient.
- Ability to show cultural sensitivity with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a several projects with demanding workloads.
- Understands and complies with the highest standards of confidentiality.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.