Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the Direction and Supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the phlebotomist is responsible for
Performing venipunctures, collecting specimens, while assuring the integrity of the specimen and the specimen ID. The Phlebotomist may also be responsible for Data Entry and Processing.
• Enter patient information and laboratory test orders into the Laboratory LIS, checking all patient demographic and Insurance information.
• Create and maintain Standing Orders, which expire after 6 months.
• Drawing patients and processing all specimens in a timely fashion following laboratory procedures for sample acceptability
• Receive bloods from Phlebotomy
• Check rack, matching requisition with specimens, following Specimen Acceptance, Rejection Policy
• After SSTs have clotted, spin for 10 minutes at 1650 RCF (3050 RPM), Na Citrate tubes should be spun at 1650 RCF for 10 minutes
• Follow instructions for send outs per Reference Lab
• For in house specimens, Chemistry tubes are placed in Chem Rack, Special Chem in a separate rack, Coag, CBC, HgbA1c, and urines are brought to the appropriate bench, placing lavender tubes on rockers.
• Specimens received from off-sites are check against requisitions and specimens distributed as notated in # 6, following Specimen Acceptance, Rejection Policy.
• PT Trigger lists are printed once or twice daily (depending on site) and distributed.
• Answer phone, looking up results as needed.
• Troubleshoot Reference Lab problems
• Keep area clean and stocked
• Help Phlebotomy and Data Entry when needed
• Help ready Biohazard boxes for pick up, make new boxes
• Check Daily temperature for Processing refrigerator
• Notify Laboratory Manager and/or Laboratory Director regarding specimen or test problems and any complaints
• Must have High School diploma or equivalent
• Phlebotomy Certificate preferred but not required
• Must complete PHLEBOTOMY TRAINING CHECKLIST, Laboratory Employee training form, LIS training Checklist
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 6452