Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
Allied Health/ Other Nursing
SMG - Methuen Area
Steward Medical Group: Methuen Area
Master's degree is required.
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Hospitalist Advanced Practitioner (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) is responsible for the observation, intervention, and reporting as directed by the hospitalists and as limited by the NP/PA role. The NP/PA will coordinate activities as assigned to patients on the service.
The physician and the NP/PAs will round on the hospitalized patients and see new admissions from the emergency department. The NP/PA will also cover the geri/psych unit for patients with active medical issues and upon admission.
The NP/PA reports directly to the Nashoba Valley Medical Center Hospitalist Services Medical Director / Program Manager but interacts administratively with all the departmental physicians and clinicians at all sites and Steward Medical Group Human Resources.
We have flexible schedules available for our Hospitalist NP/PA position including full time and part time opportunities.
Under the supervision of a physician:
* Assess the health status of individuals and families by obtaining health and medical history, performing physical exam, diagnosing health and developmental problems and caring for patients suffering from acute and chronic diseases by managing therapeutic regimes
* Respond to nursing staff calls regarding medical issues
* Refers for additional physician interventions, physical therapy, etc., after consulting with Physician Director or supervising physician
* Consults with the supervising physician regarding physical findings and course of treatment, collaborates with physician in quality improvement/peer review activities.
* Orders appropriate medications per his/her expertise as determined by their supervising physician or their designee
* Order simple diagnostic tests per his/her level of expertise as determined by their supervising physician or their designee
* Initiates consultations to other services, authorized by the supervising physician or their designee.
* Responds appropriately during unexpected events, codes, medical emergencies (i.e., seizures). Defibrillation can be done provided there is documentation of annual training (ACLS Certification)
* Evaluates specific minor illness and injury of patients as defined by approved medical protocols
* Collaborates with health care professionals in the planning, implementation and coordination of health teaching and counseling of the patient, family or patient representative. Documents patient level of understanding.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Master's degree in Nursing is required
* Current licensure in Massachusetts as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse is required
* Current CPR certification is required
* Current ACLS/BLS certification is required
* Maintains own CEU's and necessary educational hours for licensure and certification
* APRN Certification is required
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrates clinical expertise for functioning in an independent role.
* Excellent interpersonal relationships and communication skills for working with patients, families, and other staff.
* Ability to collaborate and effectively communicate with physicians and other health care professionals and support staff.
* Ability to be self-directed and demonstrate initiative in addressing responsibilities of the position.
* Ability to complete forms and other paperwork appropriately in a timely manner.
Job Status: Full Time,Part Time,On Call
Job Reference #: 100024000