Radiology Assistant - Hawthorn Ct Scan
SMG - North Dartmouth Area
Hawthorn Ct Scan
General Summary and Job Overview:
Under general supervision, assists in the preparation of patients for the Radiologist to obtain images for the diagnosis and treatment of pathologies. Performs a variety of tasks that will require independent judgment, with ingenuity and initiative. Performs at a technical level not requiring constant supervision. Assumes responsibility for designated area and procedures as required. Performs in accordance with the facility's policies and procedures. Follows the facility's standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Under the guidance of a physician or Registered Radiologic Technologist, assists in the preparation of the patient, x-ray room and supplies. In doing so, ensures the patient is properly prepared, obtains a relevant patient history and that all supplies are readily available for the physician and/or technologist.
2. Processes films by automatic processing; properly identifies films with patients I.D.
3. Prepares paperwork as necessary including appropriate billing documentation and assures proper physician order has been obtained.
4. Takes responsibility to ensure previous outside films are available for comparison. Provides follow up and notification to the appropriate person when films are delayed or otherwise not available. Maintains constant communication with the interpreting physician so as to provide the best possible patient care.
5. Provides radiation protection in accordance with prescribed safety standards. Screens all patients as appropriate for possibility of pregnancy.
6. Explains the exam to the patient taking into consideration the physical and emotional needs of the patient while maintaining ethical standards, including but not limited to, patient confidentiality, professional conduct and patients physical privacy.
7. Maintains a clean work area, prepares the equipment, patient room, and stocks supplies. In a timely fashion informs appropriate personnel when orders need to be placed.
8. Participate in quality assurance and quality improvement projects as well as utilizing appropriate cost containment measures.
9. Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations, as they become necessary.
10. Use independent judgment and initiative under pressure in a variety of situations when performing patient procedures.
11. To maintain effective working relations and communication with departmental and other Hawthorn Medical personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
12. Be knowledgeable in the operation of all film processing equipment. Must be able to check patient appointments and obtain patient reports from Meditech as well as the Radiology Information System (RIMS).
13. Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient exam, including but not limited to CPT codes and checking all Physician order sheets prior to the patient exam.
14. Participate in educational programs pertinent to the job. Attend staff meetings and in service education programs.
15. Perform all other duties as directed including but not limited to reception and film library.
High school graduate or equivalent. Experience working with patients in a patient care environment. CPR Certification.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Must have interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress. Must possess analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of fluoroscopy processes and procedures, and general anatomy. Presents a positive attitude and a professional appearance. Compliance with the dress code policy.
Must be physically capable of lifting linens, supplies and patients while utilizing proper body mechanics.
Must be aware of hazards within the department and adhere to safety standards as stated by OSHA. Must posses the knowledge and ability to implement a patient code, report and respond to a fire or other emergency event on the premises. While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 54581