Scheduling Coordinator (SMG-West Ortho)
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Scheduling Coordinator summary of duties included but are not limited to: coordinating practice inquiries, scheduling appointments, answers telephone, greets patients, and prepares patient charts for new and existing patients, performing reception duties to maintain correct patient information, performing patient discharge duties to include collection of co-pays, co-insurance and deductibles from current or previous visits, accepts and pre-registers patient reservations from physician’s offices for outpatient procedures, surgeries, etc., and assists with the insurance verification and treatment authorization processes.
- Identifies potential previous patient history before processing data.
- Prepares charts on new patients, updates charts for existing/returning patients. Pulls charts and review for messages.
- Verifies patient billing information to include: Responsible party, current address, telephone number, insurance carrier, etc. Copies insurance cards completely.
- Generates/prepares charge tickets for patients scheduled or added on.
- Files all patient related information accurately and timely.
- Assists patient with authorization to release medical records.
- Collects co-pays, deductibles, co-insurance, etc. or past due balances.
- Balances cash received at the end of each day and reports as directed. Checks, summarizes, and totals all charge tickets at end of each day. Posts charges and payments on the day of service as time permits. Puts patient sign in sheet and charge tickets into an envelope and takes to Billing/Collections clerk for processing.
- Assists with other clerical functions as needed or requested.
- Answers all phone calls promptly and courteously. Takes messages accurately and completely. Ensures that callers placed on hold are attended to promptly.
- Enters information into computer system using established criteria.
- Initiates appropriate levels of communication with patients and physicians offices to obtain missing details on patient accounts.
- Calls/Faxes designated pre-certification or prior authorization number to obtain authorization for payment of services rendered.
- Initiates phone calls with insurance companies to acquire authorizations.
- Maintains professional and appropriate communication and behavior with patients, co-workers, physicians, and vendors.
- Maintains HIPAA confidentiality at all times.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- One (1) to three (3) years’ experience as a scheduler in a medical office preferred
- Paid time off
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- And much more…
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 18141