Senior Director Operations - Provider Contracting and Onboarding
The role reports into the President and is a strategic leader who provides support to hospital operations related to physicians, including primary care and specialists who practice in both hospital and outpatient settings. The ideal candidate, along with their direct reports, will be responsible for the implementation and coordination of physician contracts, managing ongoing physician relationships and guiding each candidate through the on-boarding process until their start of employment.
Responsibilities/ Essential Functions:
- National oversight of the provider contracting team
- Responsible for implementation and coordination of physician contracting
- Work with SMG Leadership Team on national strategic initiatives and projects to enhance operations within the organization
- Oversee and optimize all administrative systems and processes, including identifying and executing on opportunities for standardization, process improvement, financial optimization, and operational efficiency across a rapidly growing national enterprise
- Development of new policies and procedures in preparation of project implementation
- Identifies and develops action plans for new process improvement projects
- Ongoing contract and PARF training for all new SMG Directors and Regional VPs
- Oversight/ approval of all malpractice invoices submitted to A/P
- Draft complex Agreements, EA Amendments, and work with legal on redlined Agreements
- Review PARF requests for accuracy and to check that the appropriate fair market value has been used
- Liaison between physicians, SMG Directors and Steward Legal to answer contract questions and communicate solutions
- Manage relationship with external immigration counsel on visa-related matters for new and existing SMG physicians
On-Boarding/ Off-Boarding of SMG Physicians:
- Guide physicians through the hospital and payer credentialing process, working with Hospital Medical Staff Offices, Steward Health Care Network, Provider Enrollment, Human Resources, and Practice Administrators to ensure smooth and timely transition to reimbursable employment.
- Establish multiple communication processes to enhance on-boarding.
- Manage the Provider On-Boarding Specialists.
- Lead weekly on-boarding meetings with hospitals.
- Lead the effort to reduce cycle time from candidate’s hiring to the effective start date.
- Collaborate with Sr. HR Director of SMG in evaluating existing on-boarding process and implementing a new on-boarding process, as well as an off-boarding process.
- Oversee and provide strategic initiates to the Physician Services Department, including the Provider On-Boarding Specialist in day-to-day responsibilities and functions and ensure we focus on customer service.
- Works with Provider Enrollment, Medical Staff Offices, Human Resources and Finance to ensure completion and success with on-boarding.
- Charged with continuing to identify areas in need of process improvement and developing plans around such.
- Work with VP, Practice Management and SMG Administrative Director to ensure term letters are delivered.
- Develop term process and communication about termed physicians.
- Regular review of Board Certification, specialty classification, and SMG employed and FTE status to ensure accuracy with TRACO and ProMutual.
- Recoup signing bonuses and tail coverage money paid out to a physician leaving SMG, as appropriate.
- Manage Salesforce to ensure information entered is consistent with policies.
- Develop management reports and tracking for PCPs and Specialists.
- Ongoing work with Network Development team about the on-boarding process to ensure timely start dates.
- Oversee day to day management of all ongoing projects within the department.
- Leads contracting task force and coordinates with internal and external leadership and attorneys to ensure smooth transition of all providers (hospital employed, SMG employed, and corporations).
- Assists with training new leadership on policies and procedures for physician contracting.
- Master’s Degree and 5 – 7 years of experience working within the healthcare administrative setting with an understanding of the physician contracting and on-boarding processes.
- Previous physician recruitment experience is required.
- Strong project management, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Exhibit a high energy level with flexibility in work habits to schedule and meet the needs of the provider recruitment and on-boarding effort
- The ability to work with independently with minimum supervision, set priorities, and follow through to accomplish results.
- Strong computer skills including, but not limited to, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and process complex information and deliver, both verbally and written, in a clear, concise, and articulate manner.
- Strong verbal and written skills to effectively communicate both detail and summary level information to administrators, providers and external departments and managers regarding the recruitment, contracting and on-boarding process for physicians.
- Ability to make policy and procedural decisions and judgments.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.