Sr. Director, Surgical Services - CMGE Administration
SMG - Boston/Brighton Area
Master's degree is preferred.
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Within established organizational and departmental policies and procedures, the Sr. Director of Surgical Services works with the Physician Business Unit Leader for Surgical Services, Executive Director for Surgical Services, Operational Managers, and Senior Vice President to achieve the business unit's strategic, financial, operational and clinical goals. The Sr. Director is responsible for working with SMG and each Hospital markets leadership team to refine and achieve the strategic and business needs for SMG and the Hospital. The Sr. Director will establish and promote high quality and high value care consistent with Stewards overall strategy for community based, high quality and cost effective care through sound operational, financial and human resource management. The Sr. Director seeks to establish a respectful environment that promotes teamwork, innovation, inquiry and clinical excellence.
* Department Planning and Management: Participates in establishing system-wide goals and objectives, translating hospital mission and vision into written departmental operating goals and objectives annually- in concert with Executive Director Surgical Services, Physician Business Unit Leader, Hospital leaders, Chiefs and SMG Senior Vice President. Coordinates strategic planning for the service lines, including but not limited to quality, service, financial, system integration, workforce development, volume/growth and academics. On-going assessment and communication of service line needs to Chiefs, VP and other constituents.
* Clinical Care and performance: Works collaboratively with the Hospital leaders/designees and administrative managers of surgery to ensure the highest level of individual clinical performance by medical and support staff.
* Clinical Operations: Maintains and maximizes efficient operations of all sites. Ensures appropriate staffing quantity and skill mix based on best practice.
* Clinical quality Improvement: Collaborates with Steward Health Care Network to improve clinical quality and patient satisfaction, including supporting data analysis, identifying metrics and benchmarks, and communicating results. Uses information on customer needs and expectations to guide the continual improvement of all departmental processes. Develops policies and standards of care as needed. Tests innovative ideas.
* Human Resources - non-physician: Hires and supervises service line managers, evaluates work performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions. Responsible for direct supervision of professional management staff and overall supervision of staff through department managers/supervisors. Promotes integration of professional training and service improvement. Models collaborative, multidisciplinary leadership methods. Enables staff by supporting innovation, creativity and risk-taking. Affirms and respects diversity through behaviors, actions and communication.
* Human Resources - Providers (MD, NP & PA): Collaborates with Physician Business Unit Leader, Hospital Leaders and Department Chairs (if applicable) to assess workforce needs, to recruit, credential and orient new staff, and to survey their job satisfaction.
* New Clinical Program Development: Responsible to assess and respond to the evolving healthcare needs of our communities, new business opportunities, technology changes, and reimbursement changes. Identifies opportunities for new program development and expansion of existing services.
* Business Planning and Marketing: Develop short and long-range strategic plans for new and established services, directs implementation of new services, and monitors programs to increase efficiencies and meet their objectives. Will include, but not limited to, growing panels, linking referrals and improving overall quality and leakage.
* Fiscal Responsibilities - departmental performance: With Physician Business Unit Leader, overall responsibility for developing financial goals for the department and its divisions. Melds budgetary demands from multiple cost centers into one overall financial plan. This includes service volumes, revenues, and business unit expenses. Works to create/assess profit and loss scenarios, and develop strategies to improve operations using measurable criteria and standards. Creates and monitors the annual operating budgets and analyzes divisional and staff productivity. Assures that the department meets its budgetary targets for SMG.
* Fiscal responsibilities: individual performance: Develops and implements equitable compensation agreements in concert with SMG and works with Business Unit members to achieve their productivity, and quality goals. The maximization of revenues includes working with fiscal and medical staff to improve reporting, charge capture through accurate billing and coding practices.
* Facilities and Equipment: Addresses issues related to SMG facilities, equipment and supplies. Prepare requests, and assists in the selection of necessary equipment and supplies. Assesses and plans for space/capacity constraints.
* Information Technology: In concert with IT, participates in planning and implementing new IT initiatives (such as EMR, quality reporting, portals etc.). Ensures compliance with all policies and procedures as established by the Steward Information Technology Department.
* Communications: Aligns strategic, operational and budget commitments and actively manages for outcomes through direct reports or other means as necessary. Assures excellent communication with internal and external constituents, including: overseeing the call schedules.
* Funding: Develops new funding strategies and revenue streams to support Business Unit performance.
* Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent amount of education and experience. Master's degree preferred.
* Clinical background preferred, but not required
* Minimum of 8 years of experience in clinical operations and/or practice management with at least 5 years of management/supervisory experience is required.
* Skills in hospital and physician practice finance/budgeting and program development & management required.
* Experience with development and implementation of physician compensation models is strongly preferred, along with continuous quality improvement experience is required.
* Project management experience helpful.
* Ability to observe, analyze and interpret general, technical and clinical data (verbal and written).
* Excellent written and oral communication.
* Ability to effectively prioritize responsibilities while under pressure.
* Personal characteristics and management style that emphasizes teamwork, communication, collegiality, flexibility, trust and patience.
* Ability to travel to offsite clinical/session locations
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 54519