Sr. Vice President, Clinical Operations
SMG - Boston/Brighton Area
CMGE Practice Admin
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Reporting to the President, Steward Medical Group, the Senior Vice President, Clinical Operations will be a key member of the SMG senior leadership team and will be responsible for ensuring successful day-to-day clinical operations and delivery of clinical services within the Arizona Market. The SVP will have P&L responsibility for the practices in the Market, including financial, operational, and clinical oversight. The SVP will represent SMG in interactions and collaboration with the other Steward business units, including the key leaders for the hospitals and network. In addition, the SVP will lead the development and implementation of standardized, quality patient care and positive patient experience within the practices of the Market. The SVP will lead the development of physician tactics and engagement to achieve the vales, business, and clinical quality goals and objectives as set by SMG Leadership. The SVP will collaborate with leadership and cross functionally for strategic planning to achieve program growth and appropriate expansion of clinical services.
- In conjunction with SMG Leadership, will lead providers and collaborate with administration to develop and implement programs that promote health and access to care within SMG practices.
- Develop financial and operational plans through leadership of the annual budgeting process and maintain continuous oversight over all aspects of operations and performance.
- In collaboration with SMG Leadership, develop long-range provider recruitment, compensation, and retention strategies for the Market.
- Collaborate with other Steward business units, in particular the hospitals and network, in developing, executing, and managing market and region specific strategies that involve the employed providers.
- Serve on the SMG Leadership Team, actively participating in the leadership of the Market strategy and planning.
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of SMG practice clinical short and long-term goals.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on current trends in healthcare as well as state and federal regulations.
- Lead and facilitate key process improvements in patient access measures, practice flow, population based quality improvement (including all value based contracts), and patient experience.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, continually develop results-driven initiatives that define our success and transform SMG's Market practices.
- Participates in the recruitment and selection for SMG Market providers.
- Identify and develop physician site leaders across all SMG physician specialties, creating a cadre of providers who are committed to best practices, performance improvement, and clinical excellence.
- Further enhance the use of advanced practitioners in all primary care and specialty settings as a means of further improving access, covered lives growth; establish standards for advanced practitioner recruiting, training, and practice.
- Monitor and ensure clinical and operational performance goals are maintained across SMG Market practices. Collaborate with clinical management to optimize staffing, appointment schedules, workflow policies and procedures, as needed to meet goals.
- Create, analyze and present data and reports as relevant to clinical operations.
- Execute other long-term projects as assigned by the SMG President.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- M.D. or D.O. degree from an accredited medical school required.
- Formal training and/or experience in healthcare administration or strategy, including demonstrated ability to integrate clinical and business directives and drive change across a diverse provider base. An MBA, MPH, MHCM or related degree is considered an asset but is not required.
- Requires 10-15 years of clinical experience or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Thrive in a matrix environment and promote strong teamwork across business groups and functions by sharing ideas and information. The position requires strong relationship management skills, high levels of resourcefulness, influence/organizational savvy, strategic vision, execution skills, and executive presence.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical outcomes and quality improvement processes.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships with peers and leadership.
- Knowledge and experience in a managed care delivery system.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to manage for results.
To apply for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to:
Vice President, Human Resources
Steward Medical Group
Job Reference #: 100023590