Vice President, Radiology - CMGE Administration
SMG - Boston/Brighton Area
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Vice President of Radiology shall have oversight authority over all activities within a growing Division of Radiology within Steward Medical Group (SMG). The VP will have a national scope of responsibility and will be a key collaborator for all Steward Hospitals in the oversight and management of non-SMG radiology groups. The responsibilities of the VP shall be carried out in concert with the function and objectives of SMG.
· Provide vision, leadership and direction for SMG Radiology. The VP of Radiology is the advocate for, and representative of, the Radiology Service within Steward Medical Group, and is expected to assume a leadership role in all issues related to imaging.
· Establish a vision and road map for creating system wide clinical effectiveness and operational performance.
· Team effectively with Hospital and Medical Group Leadership to focus on key quality clinical and financial outcomes.
· The VP of Radiology shall be responsible for strategic planning for Radiology Services including community based activity, projection into new markets, and acquisition and dissemination of new technologies.
- Serve as a physician lead for practice acquisitions and business development for SMG Radiology, as assigned by the Senior Vice President of Hospital-Based Services ("Senior Vice President");
- Oversee implementation phase of new acquisitions, leading to go-live and hand off to the local leadership team
Departmental Quality and Regulatory Reviews
· Oversee evaluation activities including utilization review and quality improvement program as required by governmental agencies, professional review organization, accrediting bodies, third party payers, Hospitals, and Medical Staff.
· Regularly review and evaluate professional performance (Peer Review, FPPE, OPPE) of the physicians and in accordance with the bylaws, rules, regulations and policies of the applicable Medical Staff. When necessary, provide guidance towards educational opportunities to optimize the quality of diagnostic and interventional procedures.
· The VP of Radiology shall either personally or in conjunction with administrative leads ensure each Hospital maintain:
o Accreditation by the Joint Commission in Accreditation of Health care Organizations;
o Licensure by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and certifications by other applicable regulatory agencies;
o Qualifications for reimbursement under state, federal, and private payer insurance programs; and
o Achieve and maintain ACR accreditation where appropriate.
· Design measures for the assessment of Quality. Establish and enforce quality controls, policies, and procedures to ensure diagnostic and therapeutic reliability as well as safety of patients and personnel.
· Leadership of system wide initiatives and integration services.
Physician Recruitment and Coverage
· Determine the current and future physician staffing needs of SMG Radiology and ensure that the every location is appropriately staffed at all time with Radiologists that have the necessary skills to provide full coverage of patient needs.
· Ensure physician coverage and emergency on-call coverage sufficient to meet all Radiology and clinical service needs in a timely and responsive manner.
· Cooperate with Hospital and Medical Group departments and committees in the development of in-service educational programs designed to meet the educational needs of physician and non-physician personnel and community educational programs designed to meet the educational needs of the community at large (community outreach).
· Promote and participate in continuing medical education program.
· Support Resident and fellowship training programs.
Clinical Operations of the Department
· Develop and/or approve such clinical and operational protocols, procedures, rules, and regulations as may be necessary or required for the proper operations of Radiology and provision of clinical services.
· VP of Radiology shall be responsible for determining structure of SMG Radiology, including assignment of roles, responsibilities, clinical assignments, and titles (e.g. Section Head). VP of Radiology, in conjunction with SMG, is empowered to propose additional compensation or administrative time (if necessary and appropriate) for additional administrative or clinical duties assigned to members of the department.
· Oversee a process to ensure the qualifications and competence of Department personnel who provide patient care, treatment, and services.
· Establish Radiology clinical care delivery priorities and promote an interdisciplinary, collaborative clinical environment throughout the system.
In conjunction with Steward Medical Group Leadership:
· Shares accountability for the SMG Radiology business/strategic plan, development and control of departmental budgets, continuous improvements in operating efficiency, and coordination of staffing.
- Participates in development and execution of organizational/staffing plans, recruitment activities, performance analytics, compensation programs, etc.
· Actively participate in the preparation of annual capital and operating budgets. Provide ongoing oversight of budgetary and financial management.
· Guides policies and procedures to evaluate productivity, and ensure acceptable levels of productivity.
· Actively pursue opportunities to grow the practice and insure the financial health of SMG Radiology.
· Enforce all applicable Bylaws, rules, regulations, and policies of Steward Medical Group and the individual Hospitals, as well as Radiology policies, rules, regulations and Bylaws.
· Take appropriate action in accordance with Medical Staff Bylaws whenever the activities for professional conduct of any healthcare provider is reported to be: below the accepted standards or aims of the Medical staff as stated in the Bylaws; disruptive to the operations of the Hospitals; questionable as to professional competence; or inconsistent with or harmful to good patient care.
- Provide effective direction, guidance and leadership over Department Chiefs and Staff to promote effective teamwork and motivation, and ensure effective integration efforts with system-wide initiatives.
- Utilize all expertise available within the Radiology Service both clinical and administrative to ensure optimal quality of services.
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- M.D. or D.O. degree from an accredited medical school required.
- Formal training and/or experience in healthcare administration or strategy, including demonstrated ability to integrate clinical and business directives and drive change across a diverse provider base. MBA, MPH, MHCM or related degree is preferred but not required.
- Requires 10-15 years of clinical experience within Radiology or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Thrive in a matrix environment and promote strong teamwork across business groups and functions by sharing ideas and information. The position requires strong relationship management skills, high levels of resourcefulness, influence/organizational savvy, strategic vision, execution skills, and executive presence.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical outcomes and quality improvement processes.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships with peers and leadership.
- Knowledge and experience in a managed care delivery system.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to manage for results.
Job Reference #: 51692