Vice President Revenue Cycle
Steward Health Care System is comprised of 10 hospitals and more than 20 outpatient facilities all committed to compassion, accountability, respect and excellence. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Steward Health Care System is a community-based accountable care organization and community hospital network with more than 15,000 employees serving more than one million patients annually in 85 communities.
Steward Medical Group, Inc. is a physician-led practice organization with 1,700 employees in total and more than 160 physician practices throughout Eastern Massachusetts.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President (VP) will provide leadership and oversight of the national SMG Revenue Cycle function. The VP will identify how best to use system-wide resources encompassing the Billing Office, Referrals and Authorizations, Education & Training, and Health Management/Coding with the goal of optimizing reimbursement and maintaining compliance. The VP will be charged with driving standardization of revenue cycle workflow, expansion, and ongoing refinement of all programs and initiatives to support the business and organizational changes of a large, growing multi-specialty physician group practice.
- Provide strategic thought leadership across the revenue cycle management continuum in collaboration with the SMG CFO and key stakeholders.
- Define and implement long term strategies to scale revenue cycle operation and/or to position SMG to be proactive and manage promptly and efficiently toward revenue cycle growth and new business opportunities.
- Lead the design of SMG’s overall revenue cycle process and structure, while streamlining workflow and eliminating redundancy.
- Build a revenue cycle function that is committed to developing best practices that support the ever changing needs of a growing national medical group.
- Implement reporting tools and key performance indicating (KPI) dashboards that monitor billing and collections performance and the effectiveness of the revenue cycle function.
- Serve as a customer liaison and facilitate communication between internal business customers.
- Drive consensus among key stakeholders.
Cash Flow Generation
- Direct, manage, and implement programs and strategies to ensure efficient operations of SMG’s revenue cycle to generate optimal cash flow that support SMG’s operations and strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate and direct both internal and external resources, such as consultants and subject matter experts, to meet the specific objectives and time tables for SMG revenue cycle initiatives and related strategies.
- Develop and implement centralized revenue cycle solutions where the value proposition indicates revenue or cost improvement opportunities.
- In concert with the SMG Senior Leadership Team (SLT), accountable for interpreting and monitoring all SMG revenue cycle and managed care third party contracts and strategic vendor relationships.
- Partner with Information Technology to determine long-term SMG revenue cycle management infrastructure requirements and solutions.
- Responsible for optimizing business performance and aligning intra-departmental business processes and information technology
- Provide knowledge transfer, project management, facilitation, analytical support, and communications, depending upon the nature of the initiative.
- Review, monitor, and assist in the explanation of performance against budget and benchmarks.
- Provide and direct local tactical revenue cycle operational support to SMG practices.
- Partner with the SMG Training Team to ensure that all SMG employees are appropriately trained on system functionality that optimizes revenue cycle performance.
- Develop mechanisms to assess and measure production metrics, service levels and client satisfaction.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal and State regulations regarding billing procedures.
- Establish effective internal controls regarding all functional work flows
- Model service orientation to internal and external customers; ensures service delivery is among the top priorities for revenue cycle operations.
- Provide leadership in support of the organization's mission/vision/values, providing guidance and direction in a complex environment.
- Function as a change agent: lead the development and implementation of revenue cycle strategies that are optimal and consistent with best practices.
- Assess and respond to current and future internal and external healthcare trends in order to establish and ensure the necessary direction for the revenue cycle activities.
- Effectively manages financial and human capital resources.
- Direct performance holding self and others accountable for creating a collaborative environment for all and for delivering high quality services to those served by the organization.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required or equivalent amount of education and experience, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years or relevant experience with a track record of progressively responsible positions in a complex healthcare related organization such as multi-hospital system, large group practice or a major healthcare consulting firm preferred.
- Broad understanding and experience within acute care hospital, physician practice operations, and other health care services.
- Demonstrated leadership progression in experience and responsibility in revenue cycle operations including practice operations, accounts receivable management, Compliance, and Health Information Management with a proven track record of leading complex projects to successful completion.
- Strong working knowledge of managed care contracting strategies, billing and collection processes and functions, practice operations , Health Information Management, general revenue cycle management strategies, and industry best practices.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning abilities.
- Experience with athenaCollector preferred.
- Ability to lead both through influence and direct authority.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively communicate and lead a broad range of audiences.
- Knowledge and application of Performance Improvement concepts.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.